Friday, May 24, 2013


I wrote this story about a boy named Evan. I met through school He’s in the first grade and one day he took a field trip to our school. Then we sat down and he told me all about his life. Using the things he told me I conducted this sweet story. 


Evan and the Helpful Hippo


Evan asked with a shining morning face, “Grandma, can we get a dog?”
“No honey, that's a lot of work you’re just not old enough.”

“Everyone says I'm not old enough. I wish there was a way I could show Grandma and the world how grown up I really am,” he said to his favorite hippopotamus toy.
“You’re right! Hippo I’ll get a job, that’s perfect!”
“Hey, Grandma is there any work I can do around the house, so I can show you I’m grown up enough for a dog and maybe earn a little money?”
“Yea, you can finish painting this shed for me. You have until tomorrow night to finish, and if you succeed I'll consider getting you that dog.”
“Thanks, Grandma.”
“This is boring,” Evan squawked after he had been hard at work painting for some time. “I wonder what's inside this shed. Sweet! There is an episode of Thomas and Friends playing, my favorite. But Hippo,  you’re right, I do need to paint this shed so I'll only watch two episodes then I’ll go back out and finish.”
“Morning Grandma. Is it ok if I get an early start at work?”
“Yeah sure, but remember I need it done by 8:00 pm tonight, or the paint won’t be dry in time for book club.”’
“No problem, Grandma. I won’t let you down.”
2 hours later Evan realized that he had bitten off way more than he could chew and was never going to get this done in time for Grandma and worst of all he would never get a dog. Until...
“I can help you,” said an unfamiliar voice.
“Who is there?”
"It's me, silly, your toy hippo.”
“You can talk?”
“Yes, but not just that, I can get big too.”
“Well, I really don't want to let Grandma down, Hippo. Would you paint the rest of the house for me? So I can take a break?”
“Sure! Anything for my best friend.”
After Hippo finished the paint job,  Evan jumped on his back. Realizing that the Hippo would do anything for him, Evan got greedy. First he begged Hippo for the completion of his homework, then he got Hippo to make him a sandwich because he was hungry. Next he had Hippo do the dishes because he became lazy. After, he had poor Hippo climb a tree to recover his frisbee because he became lazier, Evan didn’t even say please or thank you. Hippo became weak and asked Evan for a nap. While he slept, Evan thought about how mean he was to Hippo. Suddenly, he heard something by the door.
“Hey Evan, the shed looks great!” Grandma said walking by the window. “Good work today! Here's 5 dollars!  And about the dog...”
“No, Grandma, I can’t take your money. It wasn't me who did all the errands today, it was Hippo and after he painted, I made him do all my chores for me. I acted like a child today and maybe you are right, maybe I'm not old enough for a dog,” he cried.
“Evan, don’t be so down on yourself! You don't think I know Hippo did all the work? I was watching you all day, and this was a test. But you passed by telling me the truth, and it really does show that you’re old enough for a dog.”
“No thanks, Grandma!”  Evan smiled. “Who needs a dog when you got the worlds best toy hippo.”

No comments:

Post a Comment